In close collaboration with the HoM and the Medical Department, defining and implementing the medical strategy of the mission. Being responsible for the planning and coordination of all medical activities and resources in the mission, according to MSF’s charter, policies, and ethical principles with consideration of international and national laws, in order to ensure the delivery of quality medical care for patients and their communities as well as to improve the health condition and humanitarian living conditions of the target population.
- Being responsible for defining, monitoring and updating the medical content of the MSF country policy, medical strategy, annual plan and budget, translating the identified health needs into a medical strategic vision and project objectives, priorities and resources needed in order to cover the medical and humanitarian needs of the population at risk, and ensuring that the objectives and goals set in the Mission’s annual plan, CPP and project plans are achieved.
- Being overall responsible for the appropriateness and quality of medical interventions conducted by MSF projects and being expected to identify and work on removing barriers to better patient safety, effective medical care, and better patient-centred activities.
- Continuously monitoring the medical and humanitarian needs in the Mission country through exploratory missions, the use of health information systems, monitoring and reviewing project proposals, determining necessary resources in order to cover medical and humanitarian needs of the population at risk
- Being responsible for the supervision and monitoring of the medical technical aspects, humanitarian needs and in coordination with the Logistics Coordinator, the material aspects of the programmes through regular field visits, analysing difficulties during the implementation and reporting deviations as they appear, in order to proactively provide the necessary solutions and achieve operational results
- In close collaboration with the HR Coordinator, participating in the planning, definition and sizing of the health-workforce in the mission and supervising the associated processes (recruitment, validation of medical staff, training/induction, evaluation, potential detection, development and communication). Coaching and directly supporting project coordinators and medical teams in the implementation of the medical activities.
- Together with the HR Coordinator, defining, updating and implementing the Mission’s Health and Safety Policy Framework including medical insurance, social packages and repatriation policy. Ensuring the guarantee of the highest possible level of medical related security issues (mental and physical health and safety in the workplace) and monitoring the psychological status of all Mission’s staff, suggesting solutions to help improve mental health related issues
- Being responsible for defining and sizing other resources (pharmacy and medical equipment management in collaboration with logistics) and timelines, procedures and protocols. Ensuring preparation of all medical orders in collaboration with the Logistics Department and the submission of all medical purchase requests to HQ. Being accountable for the proper management of the pharmacy in the Mission, including projects.
- Providing reports on the mission’s evolution from the medical perspective, as required, and is responsible for the Medical Library of the Mission. Informing the medical field staff of all materials available, and keeping all medical documents updated in the database
- Representing MSF before local medical authorities and keeping regular contact with other counterparts in the mission (NGOs, local organizations, donors, authorities) in order to broaden the medical-humanitarian situation analysis, strengthening the impact of the medical intervention and supporting advocacy actions to raise humanitarian awareness
- Essential, degree as Medical Doctor and specialization in tropical medicine.
- A degree in Public Health would be an asset.
- Registered to the ALBO.
- Essential, working experience of at least two years in relevant jobs and previous humanitarian experience in MSF. Experience in Migration Context is essential.
- Strategic Vision
- People Management and Development
- Service Orientation
- Teamwork and Cooperation Knowledge
- Essential computer literacy (word, excel and internet)
- Languages Essential English and Italian
- 12 months fixed-term contract
- Salary according to MSF-OCB Field salary scale.
- Closing date: 22nd January 2019
- Expected starting date: 1st February 2019
- Place of work: Rome
- Project: Coordination office