Supporting the communication and interaction between beneficiaries (migrants and refugees) and care providers in the host country, through addressing consequences of language barriers, socio-cultural dif-ferences and discrimination, following MSF protocols and procedures, to improve access to quality health care and other relevant services and providing MSF with an understanding of local socio-cultural determi-nants.
- Providing quality and culturally sensitive interpretation between the care providers and the patient (trialogue) in his/her mother tongue (source language / target language), Supporting intercultural awareness, sensitiveness and clear communication between the parties
- Assisting care providers and patients in addressing negative consequences of socio-cultural differences
- Accompanying and following up beneficiaries to referrals (health and social care facilities) as needed.
- Participating in case management meetings/medical meetings on ad hoc basis.
- Contributing to context understanding and data collection on medical/humanitarian issues, with a specific attention to vulnerabilities, to provide reliable information for operational decision-making
Profile and qualifications
Essential: secondary education.
Desirable: degree in social sciences, social communication or teaching
Desirable: Training in interpretation or intercultural mediation
Essential: minimum two-year experience in similar position
Essential: previous experience in Rome migration context and health system
Desirable: experience in provision of medical services
Desirable: Experience with MSF and/or with other NGOs
Essential: Italian (C1)
Essential: Mother tongue (C2) in at least one of the following linguistic groups
- Arabic (North Africa/Sahel/Middle East)
- Spanish (South America)
Desirable: speaking more than one of the languages listed above
Desirable: English and French
Female, given the nature of the acitvities of the project
Successful applicants will enter in the “Intercultural Mediators Roster” of Rome project.
Selected people might be called for ad hoc/autonomous assignments according to the needs of the project.
Being part of the roster does not guarantee to be called .
Contract: on demand
Gross Salary: 16,88 € per hour
Duty Station: Rome
Deadline for applications: 24 February 2021
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Applicants not invited for interview within 6 weeks from the closure of the vacancy may consider their applications unsuccessful.