The Deputy Director General (DDG) oversees all dossiers and objectives delegated by the Director General (DG) related to internal coordination in MSF Italy.
The Deputy Director General is directly responsible for the implementation of strategic objectives delegated by the DG as per the 2020-2023 MSF Italy Strategic Plan. S/he is part of the Management Team (MT) and provides support to Management Teams-related matters upon request. S/he will have direct oversight of major transformational projects as delegated to him/her by the DG.
The DDG is a newly created role within the MSF Italy General Direction and its scope and function may evolve over time.
Strategic frame and dossiers:
- Upon delegation by the DG, s/he leads specific strategic pillars of MSF Italy that are directly under the General Direction Department.
- S/he oversees the implementation of activities and projects linked to the abovementioned pillars, including the planning and monitoring of the resources needed for the achievement of said objectives.
- S/he will design and leads the strategic planning in 2022 and will monitor its implementation;
- In collaboration with the DG, s/he coordinates the Annual Planning process, including definition of objectives, monitoring and lessons learned exercises.
- S/he is particularly attentive to transversal issues and long-term strategies, and anticipates the necessary means, ensuring coordination with departments when required.
Replacement of the Director General:
During the absence of the Director General and by delegation, the DDG replaces him/her in all aspects of the Director General’s role, including in international platforms (ExCom) and in case of critical incident (CMT).
- S/he has an active role in organizational wide projects, ensuring that they are well scoped, that they follow a clear governance.
- S/he oversees the MSF IT projects portfolio.
- S/he takes the lead on those organizational projects delegated by the DG.
- Upon request of the DG, s/he supports different departments in developing business cases for new activities and projects.
- Upon delegation by the DG, s/he oversees and steers the development plan of new initiatives together with the concerned directors, including planning and budget (for final arbitration with the GD).
- Supports the DG on long-term strategies regarding MSF Italy organizational evolution and the involvement of partners as per the Strategic Plan.
Representation and external affairs:
Upon request and when necessary, the DDG represents MSF externally as spokesperson.
Organizational Risk Management:
- S/he monitors organizational risk and, in coordination with the MSF IT Directors, coordinates action to mitigate them.
- S/he supervises the Risk Management Officer and related activities of the risk management area.
S/he is part of the MSF Italy’s Crisis Management Team’s roster and participates upon request to security or reputational crisis in support to the General Director.
Profile and qualifications
- Ten years of experience in the international humanitarian sector, including at least 2 years of experience in leading roles at senior level. Experience in MSF Partner sections and in the field is a strong advantage
- Extensive track record in leading, enabling and coaching staff members
- Excellent level of English (C1). A good level of Italian (B2) is an advantage
- Strong competences in Project Management. Knowledge of Agile PM, PMBOK, Prince2, Human Centered Design and/or specific PM certifications represent strong assets
- Experience in organizational learning strategy
- Commitment towards MSF principles
- Strategic vision
- Strategic planning
- People management and development
- Analytical thinking
- Networking and building relationships
- Ability to work by objectives
Contract: Full-time, contract level: ‘Dirigente’ – Fixed term of 2 years
Duty Station: Based in the MSF Italy Rome office. Frequent travels in Italy and Europe, and occasionally to the field.
Start Date: October 2021
Application procedure: To apply for this role, please submit your application containing your detailed motivation letter and CV (both in English) through the MSF Italy website.
The application deadline is August 29, 2021