Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international independent medical humanitarian organization that provides aid to people whose survival is threatened by violence, neglect, or catastrophe, primarily due to armed conflict, epidemics, malnutrition, exclusion from health care, or natural disasters. MSF provides independent, impartial assistance to those most in need. MSF reserves the right to speak out to bring attention to neglected crises, to challenge inadequacies or abuse of the aid system, and to advocate for improved medical treatments and protocols.
The MSF movement is built around five operational directorates supported by 23 sections and offices worldwide.
Purpose of the position
Reporting to the Director of Communications, the Head of Press Office identifies strategies to foster visibility of MSF action, and to promote a debate on humanitarian action, on different media. S/he ensures communications of MSF action is done according to the priorities and values of the Organisation. S/he is responsible for the development and management of networking with national media and with MSF movement at international level. S/he coordinates the communications activities on MSF projects in Italy.
Functions and Responsibilities
- Identifies the communications strategy for national and local media, and coordinates related activities
- Ensures constant visibility of action that MSF carries out in over 70 countries, and identifies projects to present to the media
- Identifies and develops actions to disseminate MSF testimonies and campaigns, in coordination with other MSF departments
- Supervises the activities of the press office and coordinates the Press Officers of MSF IT
- Defines and verifies the budget of the Press Office
- Identifies strategic media-partnerships and ensures the development and management of networks aimed at achieving the organisation’s goals
- Ensures communications support for MSF Italy Departments, staff and international MSF movement
- Facilitates the interviews of humanitarian field workers with national and local media
- Coordinates communications activities on MSF programmes in Italy
Qualifications and Requirements
- Degree in Communications, Journalism or other related field
- Excellent knowledge of Italian and international media
- Excellent writing skills
- Excellent knowledge of press office techniques
- Excellent knowledge of the principles of humanitarian action and international geo-political context
- At least 7 years of experience in Communications, 5 of which in the Press Office
- Good knowledge of English (B2) and fluency in Italian (C1)
- Commitment to the humanitarian principles of MSF
- Behavioral flexibility
- Emotion and stress management
- Result and quality orientation
- Planning and organization
- Initiative and innovation
- Previous working experience with MSF will be considered as an asset
- Good knowledge of French (B1) will be considered as an asset
Contract: Full time indefinite contract. Level Quadro of CCNL Terziario- Commercio.
Annual Gross Salary: 39.480 – 46.200 €. The salary will be determined based on the candidate’s experience
Start date: February 2020.
Location: Rome, with travels to other MSF sections and field locations.
Interested candidates may send their application through MSF Italy website by 31/01/2020.
Interviews will begin during the following week. Only contacted candidates will be invited to interviews
MSF recruits employees only based on professional competences, regardless of cultural provenance, gender, religion or sexual orientation. We receive a high number of applications, therefore, should you not receive feedback from us within 3 weeks from the closure of the vacancy announcement, you may consider your application as unsuccessful.