MSF Italy has recently built a new department, called “Programmes Department”, organized in three main areas – hereafter also “Teams” – whose objectives are to:
- manage operations in Italy;
- improve MSF I medical humanitarian profile, and the support to operations through the development of capacity and skills in a number of medical areas, in line with the multi-year planning;
- further optimize and develop analyses and humanitarian affairs activities.
Reporting to the Director of Programmes Department, the Medical Programme Coordinator (MPC) is directly involved in points i) and ii) above and more specifically:
- S/he co-manages, together with the Operations Programme Coordinator, the operations in Italy
- S/he coordinates all Medical activities carried out by MSF Italy, as coordinator of the Medical Team.
As for the management of operations in Italy:
Reporting to the Director of the Programmes Department, and in coordination with the Operations Programme Coordinator, the MPC is responsible for planning and coordinating the implementation of the overall medical strategies relevant to operations in Italy, following MSF ethics and values, health policies, protocols, and operational plan.
As for the coordination of the Medical Team:
Always reporting to the Director of the Programmes Department, and supported by the other medical and technical profiles in the Medical Team, the MPC is responsible for improving MSF Italy’s presence and influence in the medical humanitarian environment and in debates in Italy as well as for improving the medical component across MSF Italy teams. Finally, s/he is in charge of coordinating the medical/technical support to operations, as agreed in the framework of partnerships with other MSF medical departments.
Main activities and expected results
- Is responsible for planning, designing, leading, coaching and coordinating the implementation of the overall medical content, strategies, activities and resources relevant to operations in Italy.
- Is responsible to guarantee the appropriate implementation and the management of medical aspects of MSF operations in the country, ensuring the achievement of the objectives set.
Moreover, through his/her direct involvement as well as by coordinating other colleagues in the Medical Team:
- Represents MSF towards local medical authorities and keeps regular contact with other counterparts (such as other NGO’s, local and international organizations, donors, civil and military authorities) in order to broaden the medical-humanitarian situation analysis, strengthen the impact of the medical intervention and support advocacy actions to raise medical humanitarian awareness.
- Establish relationships and develop networks with Italy’ scientific community involved in medical humanitarian topics, with a focus on potential opportunities to contribute to operational needs.
- Contributes and participates in the definition of researches, operational activities, production of scientific documents on technical medical portfolios in national and international expert groups.
- In a collaborative approach with other departments, mainly the medical advocacy, and based on field needs, contribute to stimulate debates and exchanges on medical matters with the ambition of having a movement perspectives on specific topics.
Management and Interdepartmental coordination:
- Participates in the planning, definition and sizing of the health-workforce employed in the Italian operations to ensure the implementation of medical activities.
- Is responsible to coach and directly support the medical staff in the implementation of the medical activities, translating the MSF health policy and identified needs into project objectives in order to ensure high quality health assistance to population, and that medical objectives are achieved.
- Is responsible to ensure that security related to medical issues is guaranteed to the highest possible level, by implementing all MSF policies, protocols and procedures.
- Is responsible to contribute to the proper induction and follow up of all staff, ensuring that medical briefings and debriefings are done to all MSF field staff.
Staff health policies and analysis:
- Is responsible for field staff health policies for MSF Italy in collaboration with OCs.
- Supervises the medical referent, who is responsible for the follow up of Italian field staff health portfolios and contributes when appropriate to ensure the implementation of medical evacuation of Italian field staff.
- Networking with hospitals and other health institutions to facilitate field staff health follow up and to explore long-term collaboration.
Technical Skills and Competencies
- University degree in the medical field
- Essential experience of at least 3 years in the field with MSF, of which at least 1 year in a managerial medical role
- Computer literacy
- Fluency English (C1)
- Good knowledge (B2) of Italian. French, and/or Arabic and/or Spanish are considered as a plus
- Strategic Thinking
- People Management
- Initiative and Innovation
- Decision Making
- Interest in humanitarian work and commitment to the principles of MSF.
Contract: 12 months fixed-term contract (extendable)
Starting date: October.
Location: Rome, with travels in Italy and Europe.
Applications containing a detailed motivation letter and CV should be submitted by 25th August 2019. Interviews will start on September 5th.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Applicants not invited for interview within 4 weeks from the closure of the vacancy may consider their applications unsuccessful.