The “Bending the Curves” project has undergone a significant transition in 2019 following the release of the successful HIV results, showing that the project achieved the UNAIDS 90-90-90 targets two years ahead of the 2020 deadline.
The Eshowe Project Coordinator, the Project Medical Referent and the Leverage Manager (title Deputy Project Coordinator) makes up the core of the strategic leadership of the medical humanitarian intervention. This group will be ultimately responsible for developing and adapting an appropriate strategy to achieve the agreed objectives.
Purpose of the post
In mid-2019 OCB launched a reform aiming at providing more autonomy to the projects. Southern Africa missions (Mozambique, Zimbabwe and South-Africa) have been chosen as a first pilot and an innovative and transformational approach will be implemented in 2020 in the region.
This unique set up will promote increasing responsibility and competences at the project level, by altering the responsibility of the today’s national coordination teams who will transition towards needs-based National Support Teams (NST).
Ensuring appropriate leadership within project:
- Ensure subsidiarity principle is followed and that strategies to capacitate and empower project members to succeed under autonomy are in place
- Promotes a culture of mentoring and coaching as opposed to traditional line management approaches
- Ensures accountability measures are in place towards community and beneficiaries
- Ensures consultation process is effective and rescue role is applied as needed
Responsible for successful intervention together with PMR (and Leverage) :
- Final responsible for overall operations within scope of predefined project objectives & strategy
- Context analysis; Risk analysis; Develop, update and apply the project security rules
- Represent the project in front of local partners, central authorities and MSF stakeholders in collaboration with national representative; ensures & further establishes the network of stakeholders
- Coordinates, coaches & supports project team within predefined frame
- Proposes & participates in exploratory missions, situation assessments through consultation with regional OPS & national representative
- Accompanies the selection of priorities in terms of advice & recommendations from global expertise
- In close collaboration with project team, plans & monitors HR-associated processes for project workforce
- Collaboration with local advocacy partners & exchange with national team
Responsible for strategic Leverage (jointly with the Leverage Responsible in project)
- Ensure streamlining of Leverage strategy within project (objective, rationale, strategies, activities)
- Ensures implementation of Leverage activities as per project planning
- Support & capacitation of project Leverage activities towards project team
- Active participation within relevant thematic Leverage Circles/ working groups (in region or globally)
- Ensures relevance of Leverage Circle(s)/ working groups linked to their intervention needs
- Gives visibility to project Leverage Strategy & needs towards Leverage Circles/ working groups
- Interprets & integrates Leverage needs of other projects in region (as relevant)
- University degree or paramedical diploma desirable
- Desirable degree in Project Management or HR Management
- Coaching or mentoring skills an advantage
- Essential working experience of at least 36 months in relevant similar jobs in other NGO’s OR previous MSF field experience of at least 18 months in coordination positions in different context
- Essential working experience in developing countries
- Cross-Cultural Awareness
- Strategic Vision
- Participative Leadership
- Networking and Building Relationships
- Team work and cooperation
- English proficiency is mandatory
- Local language an advantage
- Expected starting date: October 2020
- 24 months fixed-term field contract, based in Eshowe, KwaZulu Natal
- Salary according to MSF-OCB Field salary scale, under remuneration policy of SA mission.
- Adhere to MSF principles and to our managerial values: Respect, Transparency, Integrity, Accountability, Trust and Empowerment
- Adhere to the MSF Behavioral Commitments
- Family position is possible
- A dynamic and stimulating work environment alongside multicultural colleagues
How to apply?
Deadline: September 11, 2020
Application procedure: To apply for this role, please submit your application containing your detailed cover letter and CV (both in English) to the following link: https://hr-app.msf.org/Position/164/1/62
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
The protection of your personal data is important to MSF. By submitting your application, you consent to MSF using your personal data. For more information, consult our privacy notice to job applicants.